Monday, September 8, 2008

THE YARN IN THE COMFORTER

It was Sunday afternoon and Daddy was resting on the bed in the kitchen bedroom. Jenny climbed up beside him on the soft yarn-tied comforter and began pulling out the bits of brightly colored yarn one by one.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” warned Daddy.

“Why?”

“Well, when I was a little boy, one time my Mother was gone and I pulled out the yarn from all the comforters on all the beds in the house.”

“Where was she?”

“Oh, she’d gone to club, and when she got home and saw what I’d done, I got a good paddling.”

Later in the day Jenny said to Mother, “I didn’t know Grandma ever belonged to club.”

“She didn’t. Grandma never belonged to any club in her life. She had ten children and a lazy husband and there was never any time or money for anything like clubs. What ever made you think she did?”

“Daddy said he pulled the yarn out of all the comforters when he was a little boy and his Mother was at club.“

Mother laughed and said, “Well, I guess Daddy always has been a good one with the yarns.”

1 comment:

Sandee said...

When you have lots of time on your hands you can make a lot of yarns. Just saying.

Have a terrific day. :)